Presentations & Publications
Irwin P. Sharpe and Associates’ consulting services focus on custom projects specifically tailored to client needs. These programs are proprietary property of our clients. Some projects, however, have placed in the public domain.
Building & Construction
Copper Roofing – https://www.copper.org/publications/newsletters/discover/1991/Ct72/roofing.html
Architectural Hardware (Page 24) – http://wi-details.com/archetypespringsummer2013/index.html
Peter Sharpe, Vice President of Irwin P. Sharpe & Associates, holds a Bachelor of Science degree from the University of Wisconsin in biology and chemistry; a Master of Business Administration from Rutgers University; and has worked as a researcher at the Minneapolis VA Medical Center. Peter is on the Center for Healthcare Design’s Advisory Board for their Evidence Based Design and Certification program, and is EDAC certified. Some healthcare related presentations and publications include:
- Sharpe, P.A., Schmidt, M.G. 2011. Control and Mitigation of Healthcare Acquired Infections: Designing Clinical Trials to Evaluate New Materials and Technologies. Health Environments Research & Design (HERD) 5: 94-115.
- Salgado, C.D., Sepkowitz, K.A., John, J.F., Cantey, J.R., Attaway, H.H., Freeman, K.D., Sharpe, P.A., Michels, H.T., Schmidt, M,G, Copper Surfaces Reduce the Rate of Healthcare-Acquired Infections in the Intensive Care Unit. Infection Control and Hospital Epidemiology. 2013 May;34(5); 479-86. http://www.jstor.org/stable/pdf/10.1086/670207.pdf
- Schmidt, M.G., and Sharpe, P. 2011. Risk Mitigation of Hospital Acquired Infections Through the Use of Antimicrobial Copper Surfaces. Pebble Partner Spring 2011 Colloquium, Victoria Island Canada.
- Hirsch, B.E., Attaway, H., Nadan, R., Fairey, S., Hardy, J., Miller, G., Rai, S., Armellino, D., Schilling, M., Moran, W., Sharpe, P., Estelle, A., Michels, H.T., and Schmidt, M.G. 2010. Copper Surfaces Reduce the Microbial Burden in an Out-Patient Infectious Disease Practice. 50th Interscience Conference on Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy, Boston, MA, 12-15 September 2010 (2010-A-2555-ASM-ICAAC). http://www.antimicrobialcopper.org/uk/node/10856
- Seema Rai, Bruce E. Hirsch, Hubert H. Attaway, Richard Nadan1, S. Fairey, J. Hardy, G. Miller, Donna Armellinoa1, Wilton R. Moran, Peter Sharpe, Adam Estellea, J. H. Michel, Harold T. Michels and Michael G. Schmidt Evaluation of the Antimicrobial Properties of Copper Surfaces in an Outpatient Infectious Disease Practice Infection Control & Hospital Epidemiology / Volume 33 / Issue 02 / February 2012, pp 200-201The Society for Healthcare Epidemiology of America 2012. https://www.cambridge.org/core/journals/infection-control-and-hospital-epidemiology/article/evaluation-of-the-antimicrobial-properties-of-copper-surfaces-in-an-outpatient-infectious-disease-practice/C021715331F4A38FB0260452ED7A9F0D
- M.G. Schmidt, H.H. Attaway, P.A. Sharpe, J. John, Jr., K.A. Sepkowitz, A. Morgan, S.E. Fairey, S. Singh, L.L. Steed, J.R. Cantey, K.D. Freeman, H.T. Michels, and C.D. Salgado, 2012. Sustained reduction of microbial burden on common hospital surfaces through induction of copper. J. Clinical Microbiology 50:2217-2223. http://jcm.asm.org/content/50/7/2217.full
- April 23, 2014. Host, Evidence-Based Design Journal Club. The Role of Facility Design in Preventing Healthcare-Associated Infection. With Michael Compton, Gresham, Smith & Parners, Craig Zimring, Georgia Tech and Megan Denham, Georgia Tech. https://www.healthdesign.org/insights-solutions/role-facility-design-preventing-healthcare-associated-infection-interventions
- Association for the Healthcare Environment, of American Hospital Association. Exchange 2015. Cleaner Hospitals with Copper Alloys Peter Sharpe, Vice-President, Irwin P. Sharpe and Associates (Integrating inherently bactericidal copper-based surfaces with established cleaning programs to enhance the cleanliness of healthcare surfaces and achieve safer patient environments.)
- Health Forum and the American Hospital Association Leadership Summit Bacteria Kills People; Copper Kills Bacteria, July 2016. Presentation. Peter Sharpe, VP Irwin P. Sharpe & Associates and Todd Linden, President & CEO Grinnell Regional Medical Center. In an effort to improve hospital hygiene, a community hospital is integrating bactericidal EPA-registered copper-based surfaces with established cleaning programs to achieve safer patient and staff environments. http://www.healthforum-edu.com/summit/SUM15lindensharpe.pdf
- Antimicrobial Copper Seminar : Scientifically proven to Revolutionize Today’s Health Market (Seminario Cobre Antimicrobiano:Cientificamente Comprobado Una Propiedad Milenaria que Revolucionara Hoy el Mercado de la Salud ) October 2010. Santiago, Chile.
- Using Architectural Hardware to Help Fight Againt Infections. Archetype, Publication of Woodwork Institute. Spring/Summer 2013 Pages 24-31 http://wi-details.com/archetypespringsummer2013/index.html
- Perspectives from the field in response to “It is time to revise our approach to registering antimicrobial agents for health care settings” American Journal of Infection Control., August 2016 Michael G. Schmidt, PhD, Joseph J. John Jr., MD, Katherine D. Freeman, DrPH, Peter A. Sharpe, MBA, Adam A. Estelle, BS, Harold T. Michels, PhD, PE